Monday, October 19, 2009

Chapter 1: 5 minutes Miss Dawson

The night was calm and crisp. Anticipation hung in my throat as I crept down the staircase. Careful not to wake my parental figures in the room below. Finally I reached the landing avoiding the step that would sound the alarm to my midnight flight. After reaching the bottom of the stairs I tiptoed towards the back door. To my surprise it opened without a sound. I escaped into the darkness and let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

My friends were waiting for me behind the bushes. Their eyes were laughing as I reached them.



"Have any trouble Miss Dawson?" A tall lanky girl asked." I thought they would never go to bed!"



"Come on Abby." I said pulling her into the faded red sports car parked behind the bushes. "Before they wake up please!"



"Whatever." Abby tossed her hair over her shoulder and smiled at me. "Your bag is in the backseat."



All five of us loaded into the little car. Abby, my best friend was in the passenger seat next to the driver. A perky blonde named Emma. In the back seat squishing me horribly were Tristan and Sam.



"Five minutes!" Emma cried tapping the cars dashboard clock.



"Yes, I know." I mumbled.



"Having second thoughts Val Pal?" Sam teased.



"Please don't call me that asshole! You know I hate it!"



"Sorry...someone is a bit sensitive tonight!" Sam was really pushing his luck! We stopped at a corner store to get gas and drinks.



"One minute!" Abby cried from the passenger seat.



I sighed silently. Why did I have a feeling of impending doom?



"FIVE! FOUR! THREE! TWO! ONE!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!" They all cried.

"Thanks everyone!" I said cheerfully.



"Shit." I thought to myself. We pulled away from the pumps and turned onto the interstate highway going west. "Here we go...there is no turning back now."



Lighting a cigarette I looked out the window as life as I knew it washed away in the exhaust of the car. I just turned eighteen and we had loaded up Emma's car and were now headed to California.



This is our story...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

need more story, I was just getting into it. Might just be me but has a S. King feel to it.

Out of my mind in AZ said...

Really? Thats cool to hear! I hope you continue to read! I will try and post annother chapter soon! I am almost done with chapter 4.