Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chapter 5: Magic roller coasters

We drove up the curving road towards the park laughing. Getting more excited the closer that we got. Tristan's six foot four inch muscular frame shook the car every time he bounced along with the others. I finally had to tell them to all calm down before he bounced us off a cliff. We pulled into the parking lot and found a spot. We had to find a trolley to ride to the gate and wait for it to come back and get us.
Tristan and Sam were whispering to Abby and looking at me as we sat and waited for the trolley.

"What?" I asked looking at them. "I'm not stupid! I know you are talking about me."

"Shh! Guys, hold on." Abby quieted the two boys and went to sit besides me. "We brought something. To make this a little more fun for you...and us." Abby smiles and put her arm around me and pulled out two baggies. One was filled with already rolled joints.

"You didn't!" I smiled. "How did you find them?" I took the bags from her and smelled the bag of joints. The smell was sweet,musty, and dank. The next bag held magic mushrooms. I couldn't believe it!

"Wow you guys! Thanks!"


"Happy birthday Val!" Abby said handing me an almost weightless stem. I ate it and we smoked a joint before the trolley came. Soon we were at the front gate paying for our entrance. A world of towering structures took shape before my eyes and I knew then my fungi friends were beginning to take their effect on me.

I had never done mushrooms before. The effect was alot like ,which I had done alot of. Colors were brighter and things were alot funnier than they were supposed to be. I was having a good time even with the amount of people that were at the park. This would have been a very bad thing if we had been on acid.

Sam and Tristan led the assault on the park as they led us from ride to ride. Finally stopping at the parks newest and fastest roller coaster. We had just decided to hide in the brush and have a quick smoke when a park security guard spotted us.

"Hey! You there!" He called after us. My heart beat wildly. Had he seen something we didn't want him to?

"Shit!" Abby ditched the baggies in the bush behind her.

"Yes sir? Did we do something wrong?" I asked.

"No miss," he said handing me my cell phone. "You dropped this. It's been ringing."

"Thanks." I said taking the phone from him. I looked at my missed calls. My mother had called and left a voicemail.

'Hold on guys," I sighed and sat down. "It's my mom."

I punched a few buttons and brought the phone to my ear to hear the message,

"Oh Valerie, sweetheart! I am so sorry!'' She was crying. "Don't come back here. Martin found out you left and he hit the roof. He is really angry. I am going to smash this phone after I leave this message so that he can't find you. When you get to California look up Richard Dawson in Valencia. He will help you out if you need it. He will also explain a few things to you. Good luck honey. I will be at church every Monday doing paperwork if you really need me. But only call if it's an emergency, I'm not safe there. I love you Val...Please be safe."

I hadn't realized I was crying Until Abby and Emma were trying to comfort me.

"If that bastard touches her because of me I will never forgive myself." I cried into my friends arms as they held me and watched me shake with sobs.

"Lets get her out of here and find a place to eat. We need to get back on the road anyway." Tristan picked me up and we all left the park. By the time we reached the car I was passed out on his arms.

I awoke to the smell of salty air, hot dogs, and Love Street by the Doors playing on the car stereo. Ironic since Venice was the birthplace for the group in the late 60's. We turned down Harding and parked in a small parking lot next to some apartments.

"This is where Becca lives?" Sam curled his lip in disgust at the gated entrance.

"Yup this is it." Emma pulled into an open spot and turned off the engine. "Well come on! I don't know about you but a shower and a good meal sounds great right now!" We hadn't eaten since our last gas and go stop and we were all hungry.

Emma led the way towards the white gates the stood guard over the complex. The gate wasn't locked and had been left wide open.

"So much for security." Mumbled Sam.

"Shhh!" I nudged Sam knowing well enough how much he loved to piss Emma off. "Do you have a death wish today?"

"Emmy!!!!!" A Perky white blonde girl came running out of the apartment a few doors down. " Oh my gosh I have missed you so much!" She flung herself at Emma.

"Becca, I am so glad to see you!" Emma said holding on to the girls arms and hugging her again.

"These must be your friends!" Becca smiled at all of us. "Welcome to Venice!"

No comments: